SFOC Shipbuilding Program
Solutions for Our Climate (SFOC) is an independent policy research and advocacy group that aims to make emissions trajectories across Asia compatible with the Paris Agreement 1.5°C warming target. SFOC is led by legal, economic, financial, and environmental experts with experience in energy and climate policy.
Since its founding in 2016, SFOC has led strategic campaigns on coal power phase-out, renewables, and climate finance. More recently, we have expanded our work beyond the power sector, establishing oil and gas, legal, steel, and land-use, maritime transportation and methane programs. SFOC’s effectiveness comes from its extensive digital and media communication, legal strategy, political network, and leadership among grassroots campaigns. SFOC plans to incubate a shipbuilding program, which will seek to end public financing of oil and gas-related ships and advocate for transition plans for the oil and gas shipbuilding-reliant regions. This program will be led by the Shipbuilding Program Lead. The Lead will temporarily report to the Head of SFOC’s Climate Finance Program who oversees SFOC’s work on transition finance, greening export credit agencies and decarbonizing the private finance sector, but this arrangement may change as SFOC’s oil and gas work builds up.
SFOC is seeking an experienced leader who can supervise the shipbuilding program. The ideal candidate has at least five years’ experience in her/his career, is an excellent strategist, has experience leading a team of talented people, and proactive. The Shipbuilding Program Lead will be responsible for the following:
- Supervise SFOC’s nascent shipbuilding program, for which completing and disseminating a deep dive study on the state of Korean public finance of oil and gas-related shipbuilding projects; coordinating a study with reputable institutions on just transition plans for the Korean shipbuilding industry; and initiating a global campaign against the Korean Government’s financial support of oil and gas related shipbuilding
- Coordinate events and messaging on Korea’s public financing of oil and gas related shipbuilding and just transition visions of the shipbuilding industry
- Engage Korean policymakers, shipbuilding industry stakeholders, to accelerate the industry’s decarbonization
- Engage with and, from time to time, consult with funders of SFOC’s shipbuilding program, under the supervision of the Climate Finance Team Head
- Plan and document the shipbuilding team’s strategy and goals for the next five years and refine campaign strategies and tactics, which will likely have to be submitted to funding organizations
- Coordinate with SFOC’s other program and network teams
- Correspond with international and domestic climate advocacy organization partners
- Experience leading a team, in demanding situations
- Strategic thinking capability
- Business and marketing skills
- Fluency in English
- Experience in climate change is preferred, but not a prerequisite
- Willingness to work in a quickly growing organization and endure the instabilities related thereto
How to Apply:
Please send your resume/CV and cover letter to email@example.com as an attachment with the following file name: SFOC_Shipbuilding_[Your Name].
Only shortlisted candidates will be notified. Thank you for your understanding in advance.
- SFOC Team: http://forourclimate.org/sub/team_list.html
- Korea Beyond Coal: http://beyondcoal.kr
- Instagram (SFOC): https://www.instagram.com/solutions_forourclimate/
- Instagram (KBC): https://www.instagram.com/koreabeyondcoal/
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/solutionsforourclimate
- YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGVaLECumju8cIHHKo6Rgpg
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/forourclimate